Welcome to Aspen
A small and scenic mountain community
A lively ski town with a rich history, Aspen is a premier destination for those who seek breathtaking scenery with endless year-round recreational activities. With four mountains to explore, this town is perfect for hikers, mountain bikers, golfers, and outdoor adventurers.
Aspen is known for its stunning mountains, including Aspen Mountain
(often referred to by its original name, Ajax). Interestingly, Aspen Mountain was the last mountain in Colorado to feature a snowboarding ban. There is also Aspen Highlands
, home to the legendary Highlands Bowl, perfect for hiking. Aspen Highlands visitors can also enjoy a meal at Cloud Nine, which serves authentic European Alpine cuisine, or Merry-Go-Round, located mid-mountain and featuring delicious entrees like fish tacos and warm, hearty soups. Beginning skiers will have a blast at Buttermilk Mountain
, which is known for hosting the Aspen X Games. Finally, families love to pay a visit to Snowmass Mountain
, offering something for people of all ages, abilities, and preferences.
What to Love
- Maroon Bells, a scenic peak overlooking Maroon Lake
- Depending on the season, this peak is accessible by car or public shuttle bus from Aspen Highlands. Hikers can enjoy several trails including a quick 1.7-mile jaunt around the lake, a 3.6-mile out-and-back trail to Crater Lake, or an invigorating 11-mile hike over to Crested Butte. This longer hike allows visitors to enjoy two mountain town experiences before hiking or shuttling back the next day. The experience is particularly beautiful in the late summer when hikers can fully enjoy the wildflowers.
- High-end restaurants and shopping
- Rich local history
- Plenty of outdoor recreation
People & Lifestyle
A well-to-do mountain town fit for professionals and families alike, this resort-style destination is perfect for the active and artistic. Working close to home is typical as residents travel short distances via car, bike, or public transit. This community is small and historical and is excellent for long-term dwellers as well as vacationing folks.
Dining, Shopping & Entertainment
Whether you aim to glide down the slopes, catch a live musical performance, or take a gondola ride and snag a delicious slopeside meal at Bonnie’s
, there is something to satisfy everyone’s fancy. Aspen is best known for its phenomenal skiing and there’s no doubt that winter activities are the main attraction here in town! However; if you extend your sojourn in town to the warmer months, you’ll soon discover why long-time residents coined the phrase, “come for the winter, stay for the summer”!
Things to Do
With endless outdoor recreation, museums, and events, you will find exciting pastimes all year round in Aspen. This town is no stranger to annual events that celebrate its fantastic food and mountain life culture. Food & Wine Festival
is the annual jubilation of the thriving restaurant and wine scene. Wintersköl
showcases Aspen’s many winter activities and features concerts, fireworks, and even a dog fashion show.
Soak up Aspen’s natural wonders via hiking, golfing, or learning about the town’s culture and rich history at the Aspen Art Museum
. You can also enjoy views of Aspen Mountain at the AAM’s Rooftop Café with menu staples like an Americano, a croissant, and a granola bowl, or choose a new lunch item from the rotating chef’s menu, updated every Monday.
Many hiking trails are available to local adventurers, two of which are located in the White River National Forest
. Sunnyside Trailhead
is a difficult 11-mile trail, while Difficult Creek Trail
is a great hike with a deceptive name. The trail features a beautiful walk along the river at the start of the hike, with creeks coming down the mountainside if you make it far enough up—and both are dog-friendly. If you wish to take in the stunning mountainous landscape while hitting a few balls, Maroon Creek Club
is home to the Tom Fazio golf course.
Aspen is home to noteworthy educational institutions, including:
- Aspen Community School, grades K-8, a public charter school featuring the Arts Choices program, a 3-week intensive opportunity for students grades 5-8 where they work with local artists
- Aspen High School, grades 9-12, a public school with integrated career and technical education programs